The Life and Times of Robin

Monday, May 19, 2008

Bookaholic

Not too long ago, P discovered my dirty little secret. He took my car to get washed at Mr. Pride. When he opened the trunk to have it vacuumed, he discovered them. The books. I basically don't have a trunk. It's full of books. Soon thereafter, he found the duffel bags and suitcases full of books in my Mama's garage, the books piled under my bed.....the list could go on. I love, love, love reading books. Reading is a passion my Mama instilled in me from a young age when we used to go trade old books for new old books at the Book Depot in Germantown. At any given moment, my Mom will be reading several books---novels, short stories, nonfiction, you name it. Like my Mama, I also have several books piled on my nightstand, all of which I'm reading.

I'm not sure if P knows what he got himself into with the books, but he promises that someday we'll have a library to properly contain them. In the meantime, he's urging me to remove them from the trunk of my car, as they couldn't be good for my gas mileage. But where would they go?

In honor of my passion for books, I've created a list of my 10 favorite books. I had a really hard time picking some of these over others, but for now I think these are the faves. They are in no particular order. Picking one over another would be like picking a favorite brother. Not gonna happen.

1. Rich in Love by Josephine Humphreys
2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
3. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
5. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
6. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
7. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
8. Harry Potters by J.K. Rowling
9. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
10. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

1 comment:

Daniel said...

hi robin,

i share your addiction. i'm in the middle of like 10 books right now. as a small window into my weirdness, i will tell you that if/when i have a library someday i want to have somewhere hung up in there the verse Ecclesiastes 12:12 surrounded by all my books...glorious.

anyway, random i know. you should write more, i'm also addicted to blogs :)

hope you're doing well.